Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Vintage Morse Sewing Machine

So, I've always been one to appreciate older items, antiques, things from 20yrs ago.. I notice the quality of items made today have drastically changed. I call our generation the "Throw away" generation. If our Blu-ray player dies, we toss it and get a new one, 20yrs ago if our VCR stopped working, we took that bad boy into a mom and pop shop around the corner for them to repair it, items no matter the cost were worth repairing, people took pride in their work, and it was meant to last.

Which brings us to this gem I got FOR FREE!!!


 Yes FREE! You see, I signed up for the nifty Freecycle network. I was able to unload quite a few items on there hassle free. And when a nice lady offered a "Sewing Table" I replied immediately. I already had a machine, I sewed. But I was tired of using my dining room table. J was just a newborn and really, I needed something easier, something dedicated to sewing. She replied saying it was old, not her style and my husband could pick it up on his way home from work, that it was solid and heavy. YES PLEASE Ma'am I'll take it! Once I sent her the second reply, she said "oh you can have my grandmothers old machine inside too, I've never sewn. It has sat for at least 15yrs untouched. She told me it was a singer and thanked me for the quick pick up. When my husband returned he brought this beauty, No it's not a singer, it did come with a plethora of Singer foot attachments which all fit, I mean doubles of most. AND this beautiful machine, WITH the original owners manual! what are the odds of that still being in tact? I'd never heard of the name, EVER. I quickly moved on to Google, and found there's a tiny community of collectors, basically these machines are not worth much, they're made to last, and this one has. It's from the late 50s, early 60s best I could guess. They come in a handful of colors, from robins egg blue, to blue/cream combo, green and PINK... Also in my research I read they're very durable but if off  "balance" Can really destroy other parts, and it's best to take it in prior to use. Which we did. $100 dollars later we found there was NOTHING wrong but some older looking parts, and a dry belt, which were replaced the entire machine was taken apart, oiled, dusted and put back together. after sitting that long there was NOTHING wrong with it! Talk about amazing quality. Do you think letting a current "walmart" machine sit for 15 yrs would be wise? You'd plug it in and it wouldn't work at all, plastic parts would be warped, tension would be off. Not this Morse.. No sir. it's amazing. It's also "heavy duty" meaning you can use it to upholster furniture, sew leather and denim, then change the setting for knits and silks. It has two stitches, straight and zigzag. Do we really need more than that???

I'm so glad I picked up this "Free" item and spent the money to make sure it was running right. I can't seem to find another picture out there of this machine in this color. Do I have a diamond in the rough? Or have I the machine no one really wanted? too plain? too perfect??? either way, this has now become a heirloom to pass down to my daughters, IF they can pry it out of my old lady hands when the time comes. ;) Until then, I'm going to rock this machine like it was brand new, that's the way it sews anyway. Why not!






No comments:

Post a Comment