Friday, October 5, 2012

DIY - Chevron Bulletin Board

So I am redoing Miss K's big girl room. She wanted to have a Rockstar bedroom after picking out this bedding from Target. luckily it was on Clearance for $24 bucks! SWEET!


She got this quilt and the matching pillow. So during the process of planning out her room, we've flip flopped on what color to paint her walls, It's been decided a neutral tan tone. NOW to accessorize. I'm very OCD. Things need to match, but I'm trying to not be so OVERLY matchy matchy, People get annoyed with that. So to start, I repainted a plain black cheap ikea dining chair bright pink!




(Don't mind the ugly garbage and old fence, see, that's what was replaced)

I found this AWESOME mirror at Target for $5 too....

and you see that aqua cork board??? Right there???? YES that one.. Well you see, I had this BRILLIANT idea, I would turn this plain brown bulletin board into this fabulous Aqua and purple chevron cork board for the 8yr olds room.

It was A LOT of work, very time consuming, but I'm so proud with the outcome. I now have a love hate relationship with 3M painters tape... and I love Rustoleum spray paint. I used Aqua and Grape.



   
This is what we started with. Plain, cheap bulletin board. We paint it aqua (Which I forgot to take a picture of)
 Then... start the pain staking taping and marking and cutting and measuring and time consuming design. 

DONE!

Now lets paint and pray it doesn't bleed through. 


Then use every single ounce of patience you have to not pick at the tape before it's dry to handle. I immediately wanted to see what it looked like. But I waited, I waited the ENTIRE 60min to can or spray paint directed I wait before safely handling the product. That was a very long hour.

AHHHHH the awesomness that must be happening!


the finished product! Oh how I love everything about this project. It's not perfect, there are some spots that bled, obviously the template I used wasn't exact but who cares, she's going to love it. I LOVE IT! I love it so much I'm contemplating being selfish and hanging this chevron cork board in my own kitchen, it wouldn't match, but it would mean I wouldn't clutter it up with drawings! Selfish?? Nope, I am proud of my work, I'm rarely this proud, I have doubts, I wasn't sure it would be as awesome as I imagined or  the lines be as crisp. This is everything I had hoped and more. Now on to the next project!

2 comments:

  1. Her room is going to look so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making one of these for my home office, so I can have somewhere to post all my "Notes to Self" hahaha, thanks for the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete